Indulge in a cozy camping dessert with our delicious Dutch Oven Apple Dump Cake recipe! Made with Apple pie filling and topped with buttery cake mix, it’s a nice treat to enjoy around a fire.
Dump Cakes are incredibly simple and a mix between a cake and a cobbler. They lean on store-bought ingredients, in this case apple pie filling, yellow cake mix, chopped nuts and lots of butter!
In this recipe, be sure to lay the ingredients in layers according to the instructions. DO NOT STIR! This will ensure you have a great cobbler-like experience that’s amped up by a delicious cake, brown sugar and nuts. Worried about the cake being dry? Don’t sweat it. The moisture in the apple pie filling and the fat from the butter (when spread evenly) will be more than enough to get you a wonderfully crispy cobbler-like top on your dump cake. Enjoy!
- 2 Cans 24oz Apple Pie Filling
- 1/4 Cup Light Brown Sugar
- 1 Box Pre-made Cake Mix (We suggest Yellow Cake or Butter Golden Cake)
- 1 Cup Pecans, Chopped
- 1 Cup (2 Sticks or 16 Tbsp) Butter
- In Layers (DO NOT STIR), add the following ingredients to your Dutch Oven:
- Spread Apple Pie filling evenly across your dutch oven
- Sprinkle Apples with Brown Sugar
- Cover Apple Mixture evenly and completely with Cake Mix
- Sprinkle Chopped Pecans on top of the Cake Mix
- Finally, in 1/2tbsp slices, top the cake mix evenly with thin layers of butter
- Cover and place coals on your Dutch Oven. Cook at a target of 350F Degrees for 45-60 Minutes until cake is done.
- For an extra treat, enjoy with your favorite vanilla ice cream!