Get ready for a tropical twist on a classic dessert with our Pineapple Upside Down Cake! Sweet pineapple and caramelized brown sugar baked to perfection. A slice of paradise in every bite!
If you’ve never made a Pineapple Upside Down Cake, we highly encourage you to try at home at first. Mostly due to the confidence and execution of turning over the cake when it’s done. Why? Because a Dutch Oven is hot and heavy. Not to worry… I’m sure your family won’t mind a few practice runs 🙂
- 1 Box Yellow Cake Mix
- 3 Eggs
- 1/3 Cup Vegetable Oil
- 1/4 Cup Butter
- 1/2 Cup Light Brown Sugar
- 1 - 20oz Can, Pineapple Slices
- Maraschino Cherries in Juice, unstemmed
- Preheat a 12" Dutch oven with about 8 coals underneath and 18 on top.
- In a mixing bowl or gallon-size storage bag, combine dry cake mix, eggs, oil and pineapple juice. Stir until lumps are gone. If more liquid is needed, use a bit of the cherry juice. Set aside.
- Melt butter and brown sugar in preheated Dutch oven, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Place the pineapple rings evenly in the oven. Place a cherry inside each ring.
- Pour cake batter evenly over the rings.
- Return heated lid to the oven and bake about 35 minutes or until the cake is done in the center. The cake will shrink away from the sides a bit when done.
- Remove from fire and remove the lid, allowing the Dutch Oven and Cake to cool for at least 15 Minutes.
- Place a sturdy wooden cutting board or serving dish on top of the Dutch Oven, then quickly (AND SAFELY) invert the cake onto a serving dish.
- If all things have gone to plan, you should have one beautiful Campfire Pineapple Upside Down Cake and lots of eager mouths to feed.